Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Power of BYU Football

The most asked question in the last 2 weeks around town seems to be, "Do you have power?", followed up of course by, "So when did you get it?". I feel guilty at times, especially when the entire neighborhood surrounding our street and a couple others, were out of power for 13 long, hot days. But for posterity sake, I have been asked to post our POWERFUL story for all to enjoy.

It was Saturday afternoon after the storm. It was getting a little hot and sticky, but not too bad yet. Don had been up most of the night, monitoring the storm, and accessing damage during the day when it wasn't raining. So about 2 pm, he said, "Well, I guess I'll go try to take a nap, since there is no chance the power is going to come back on anytime soon and I can't watch the BYU game." For those few of you who don't know, Don is a HUGE BYU fan, and seriously, I think he really bleeds blue. At any rate, he was definitely looking a little blue as he headed down the hallway :)

The kids and I were playing games by the light of the front room windows and about 20minutes later, the hallway door flies open and Don is running into the front room. Again, for those of you who don't know, Don rarely runs anywhere. So he totally startled us, and as I am asking "What's wrong?", Don is fumbling for the remote to the TV. The only words I understood coming out of his mouth was "power...football". Apparently the power kicked back on at 2:25 pm, setting of the alarm in the bedroom, shooting Don out of bed into the front room. It took another minute or so before the air conditioner kicked in (Don already had remote in hand before the rest of us noticed!). By the time he reset the Satellite, which by some miracle in itself was still lined up right, the coin toss was over and BYU was lining up for the kick-off. You couldn't have timed it better if you tried. It was a powerful moment :)



And of course, we were really thankful to get power back so quickly and have AIR CONDITIONING! It also probably help save our carpet that had gotten water damage near the front windows since we quickly pulled it up and dried it out with fans and were able to clean it.

And for those of you wondering, it was an AWESOME game - GO COUGARS!

4 comments:

Aimee Winward said...

As I read this I couldn't help but laugh. This is exactly what Troy would do in the same situation. I can almost see Don making a beeline for the TV because I get to watch Troy do this every game day. Here's to those true BYU fans!

Emma said...

that is a great story! I can just picture it! I had to laugh.

Jennifer Bowman said...

HAHHAAA awesome story...laughing my butt off with your description of Don running down the hall with the remote...sounds like something Scott would do if in a similar situation with the Vols!!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh that is TOO FUNNY!! I will have to tell Jim that story. I can totally picture it & it cracked me up! I'm glad you guys got power back in time to save your carpets--Phew!