Saturday, February 28, 2009

The 3 P's

What we learn from School Projects this month -

PLANNING - It's not so great to wait until the night before to start a pond habitat. Good thing Hayley loves making things out of clay and is really fast! That Model Magic stuff really is magic! In Hayley's defense, she had been sick when the assignment was given and someone filed the paper and forgot all about it...oops.

PERSEVERANCE - It's great to branch off the typical biographies for Black History month and learn about someone new. But next time, let's not pick someone where the only book we can find is out of print and only available at a certain library far away in a ummm, lets say "unique" part of town. Good thing Mom drives a tank and is brave...it didn't hurt that the police station shared the parking lot with this particular location. I am sure that was just a coincidence though...right?

PATIENCE - I think you know what I'm talking about. Too bad they don't sell that at Sam's Club...

On the bright side, all the projects were done on time and things were really learned. Like for instance, did you know Sea Weed is an edible type of algae - tasty. Or that James Earl Jones had such a severe stutter as a child, he was virtually mute until a high school English teacher had him write poetry and read it out loud each day to the class to build confidence. Not bad for a man who has one of the most recognized voices in the world...from "This is CNN" to Broadway plays to "Luke, I am your father!" And the fun part of this project was that Trevor had to write 3 different types of poems about James Earl Jones for the project and learned that poetry can be valuable in ways he never knew.



But one of my favorite projects for the month was a 3rd grade science project on planets. Trev did the research paper here, but the entire crafty project part was done in class - I love it! I think I need to nominate that teacher for teacher of the year! Trevor and 2 others made a colorful travel brochure & pitched it to the class for a trip to the planet Neptune. It was full of fun facts and exciting adventures. So in case you are looking for a great getaway or planning your next family reunion, just contact Trevor at Neptune Travels and he can save you 25% on your Ice Hotel reservations! It is sure to be a vacation that is out of this world!

No comments: