Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School



It's that time of year, BACK TO SCHOOL! We have had a fabulous summer, but everyone was so excited to go back to school today.

We really kicked off the back to school stuff last week with orientations. On Thursday, Michael went to 7th grade orientation at his middle school. It was mainly just a chance to get his schedule, new student i.d. badge, books and locker, but Michael was pretty jazzed to see old friends. On Friday, Hayley and Trevor went to their Ice Cream Social and got to meet their teachers. Hayley's 1st grade teacher, Ms. Russell, is new to the school and seemed really nice and excited. Trevor's 3 grade teachers are all teachers we had with Michael and are great.

Saturday night we had a nice dinner and a special back to school night. We talked out our 2008-2009 Family School theme, "BE INVOLVED", had father's blessings by Dad, and some super yummy desserts to end the evening.



This morning came with lots of excitment. It wasn't anybody's first year at their school, so nobody was nervous, just laughing and having fun together.





We took Hayley & Trevor to their school first. We got to school early enough for the kids to talk to friends on the playground and for Hayley to do a dry run on all the monkey bars - her favorite! Once the bell rang, they grabbed their backpacks and headed into their classrooms, full of smiles.







Then it was off to drop off Michael - for some reason he didn't want us to walk him in...so strange! Wouldn't you want your cool mom, dressed all nice in her workout clothes and little brother in his swimming suit, to walk you into your 7th grade :)



After school we met up with our friends the Hunters and redeemed our summer reading library prizes for free ice cream at Baskin Robbins. A great way to chill out after a really hot first day of school.












Tonight we had our Family Home Evening lesson on "Being Involved" and talked about working hard at school and at home.

For treat we had the Back to School "PENCIL" cake Jake & I made during our time alone today.



GOOD TIMES!!!

7 comments:

Lyn Hunter said...

Who says that you aren't crafty. That is a great cake. I never think about things like that. Someday when I grow up I want to be a cool mom like you.

Emma said...

You guys do so many fun things!!! I'll be lucky if I get to take David to school on the first day. That may be Aaron's responsibility this year.

Jennifer Bowman said...

How fun!!! Awesome cake!!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

aaah I LOVE the green grass there-so so pretty!!! and you have a new CAR since we were there! Congrats-Cute pencil cake and cute idea for a theme each school year! You ahve such a fun and cute family!

Anonymous said...

Awesome cake! I think I'll steal that idea...

Shad & Amy said...

once again, you are super-mom jean. i don't know how you keep up with it all!

Tilly said...

You pulled the cake off! It looks great! I love your kids they are so cute and so much fun! You're such a great family...I tell Andrew that all the time. I'm with Lyn, when I grow up I want to be a mom just like you...thanks again for watching Michael that crazy day!