Monday, August 25, 2008

Jake's Church Star Chart

Jake doesn't like church very much. In fact, it had become a real problem on Sunday mornings. Some of the milder acts of rebellion are like the flipping of his clothes around backwards in the middle of church...see Exhibit One:



I will spare anyone who hasn't witnessed other acts of rebellion the lovely details...it just isn't very pretty (and really, church is the only time he acts that way - Jake is normally a funny, great kid to be with!). So after trying all the typical threats, lectures & punishments, I was getting really desperate and looking for something new to try.

Well, Jake loves these toys FisherPrice makes called Planet Heroes. He can't wait for his birthday, and that is all he talks about. So I thought, maybe we can try a different type of "reward" system and he could earn a toy based on weeks of good behavior during church. So for the last 2 months, Jake has been trying to earn 10 Stars to be able to get this toy he has wanted forever. In reality, he could have earned the toy in 3-4 weeks, but we had a couple of incidents where Jake wasn't able to earn full points, I was pretty stingy with them. The week before last he was just 1/2 star short! But our big news is Jake did great on Sunday and earned enough stars to get his Earth Ace. And boy, was he excited!

Way to go Jake - keep up the good work!

JAKE AND HIS EARTH ACE AND CHURCH STAR CHART

2 comments:

The Sorensen Bunch said...

ha ha ha i know I shouldn't laugh BUT the clothes backwards are soo funny. At least he was not the streaker we had there for awhile-ha ha ha. I am glad you are doing this first so I know who to come too!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

the streaker (the little kid) in Houston while we lived there is what I am referring too!