Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Be Strong & of a Good Courage

Back to school time is filled with family traditions. One of my favorites is kicking off the year with a special family night, introducing our family theme for the school year. We took down last year's theme off the fridge & put up our new theme.




This year we choose a scripture from the Old Testament. It is Joshua 1:9 which says:


"Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."



There are so many amazing truths & applications within this scripture that we will have fun talking about during the next year. Monday we kicked off our new theme, talked about the scripture and what it means to be strong and to have good courage. Everyone wrote or drew a picture of someone/something that that was strong and showed courage.






Hayley's Drawing about Daniel being strong and having courage

We also talked about not being afraid when we are in new situtations, like school - that we are never alone. As Jake said, "You mean I can have a little bit of Jesus in my heart with me so I won't be scared." That's right buddy!




This is actually the 2010 youth theme for the church as well, so there are so many amazing things online to help reinforce this theme like this music video .


We ended with a fun treat to remind us to Be Strong!




4 comments:

Philip, Melissa, & Summer said...

Seriously! You are so creative. I love the treats too. I think I need to step up my FHE lessons a notch or five. How fun!

Jennifer Bowman said...

Love love love it all! You are such a great Mom Jean!

Miss you guys!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

I had forgotten how your family does this....we need to copy that idea!!!!
woot woot!a shout out from the Cottonwood stake YW for that theme!! It has had more application to me then ever this year!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

What a good idea! I love this. I cannot wait to institute this...my oldest starts Kindergarten this fall!