Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Jobs

Last fall Hayley's teacher invited the dads of the class to come in and talk to the class about their jobs. Don went, armed with big posters of drill rigs and exciting stories of far off places he travels to like Germany and China. He scored big time with the kids when he pulled out the 2008 Chinese Olympic Mascots he got our kids on his last visit...seriously, there was just about a riot in the classroom. Our kids go to a language magnet school here and the class had just finished a semester learning Chinese & all about the culture and the upcoming Olympics. I think it was an exciting day for everyone involved.



Well, fast forward a few months and yep, it's now time for the moms to come and talk to the class about their jobs. And believe me, there are some really exciting jobs some of these moms have - doctors, scientists that do things with rats (the kids love that kind of stuff!), preschool teachers, middle school soccer coaches, etc., so the competition is pretty tough. The day I was assigned to come in, a parent had visited that morning & did magic tricks for the kids, sending them all home with their own trick. Very cool stuff! (That parent was an attorney, but as we all know, lawyers can play all sorts of fun tricks on us, right?! Haha - love ya Don!).

Most of you know I worked for years in accounting before I became a stay-at home mom. Now as fascinating as calculators are, I don't think I would have scored real high on the excitment factor back then. But as a stay-at-home mom, well, what could be better, right?



So I thought real hard, held intensive polling sessions with key informants, various ages and genders of course, reheld intensive polling sessions when the answers didn't come out right the first time ("Really, what is Mom's job? No, not cleaning your room!), and came up with a bag full of jobs I do to wow a class of 23 5-6 year olds. I had enough items for each child & the teacher to stand and hold one, so by the time we emptied the bag, they were in a standing circle around me. Some of the fun jobs I have are a chauffer (school bus), a Private Detective (magnifying glass to help me find things), hairdresser (clippers), cook (apron), gardener (flower), dishwasher (dish), laundry attendant (tide & towel), preschool teacher (Jake's preschool stuff), classroom helper (Hayley's Tuesday Folder), librarian (books), accountant/pay bills (calculator), grocery shopper (store bag), fitness trainer (weight), Dr. Mom (stethoscope), Dental Assistant (floss and Jake's toothpaste), cheerleader (pom pom)...you get the drift. Then I ended by putting on one of Hayley's tierra's and said at the end of the day, my job and my kids make me the queen of our house. Awww...the girls loved it!



And of course, we had to make a treat for extra bribery in case there were any doubts that a stay-at-home mom is the best job there is! White Chocolate Covered Popcorn with Orange Sprinkles (they are talking about the letter O this week).



The teacher just chuckled the whole way through and laughed out loud when the extendable feather duster for my "housekeeping" job came out. "You are just like Mary Poppins!", she exclaimed.



Yep, that's me...practically perfect in every way! Just make sure you call before you come visit so I can stuff all the junk in the closet, have the kids vacuum and make the quick call for take-out!

6 comments:

emily said...

hooray--what a tribute to a great job--i'm proud of you!

Kaylene said...

Hahaha, how fun! You are the queen of object lessons!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

awww--that is SO CREATIVE & CUTE!!! I'm glad you did that--cuz people need to see what an admirable and respectful JOB being a mom is (it's the best job on earth as you know ;-)

The Sorensen Bunch said...

YOU ROCK!!! I LOVE you for respresentin' us moms at home! I miss you guys!..I will call before we come, we love take out! And can I get the white chocolate oragne sprinkles recipe?!!

Jennifer Bowman said...

How fun, you are awesome Jean! And stay at home Mom is the best and most rewarding job in the world by far! :)

Sophia Crane said...

What a great example to those kids. I don't think most people realize how much stay at home moms do. Time magazine said to contract out everything a mom does you would be spending something like $130,000 a year or more. Anyway, great post!