Sunday, May 4, 2008

SPCA

Every year it seems that the SPCA makes a special trip to the elementary school and talks with the kids about adopting pets that have been abandoned. So of course, every year, one of my kids comes home and really thinks we need to get a pet from there. This year was Trevor's year. Now if you know Trevor, you know he is a true dog lover anyway, so it definitely didn't take much for him to feel the urgent need to convince us of the importance of getting a pet from the SPCA, and not from the pet store.

Trevor: "You know, there are all kinds of animals we could get. There are dogs and cats and tanks of fish and even rats. Can we get a rat?"

Mom: "Uh, no Trevor, I don't think we will ever going to get a rat for a pet."

Trevor: "Ok, so how about a dog?"

Hmmmm, somehow I think the rat was the sticker shock so the dog would be a much easier sale. Smart kid, I have to say in all the years of the SPCA guilt trip, I have never been approached about getting a rat. A dog does seem so much more pleasant, right? So of course, I tell him he has to talk to his dad!



A little later in the evening, all of us were talking about animals and pets that we would like. Jake pipes up, " I want a fish and it's name is going to be Alligator. And I also want a dog with no teeth."

It was pretty funny. So if we ever do get a pet from the SPCA, Beware of the Alligator and the ferocious, toothless dog!

1 comment:

The Sorensen Bunch said...

I guess it is better than a hairless and toothless pet rat! NAsty--Is till cannot bring myself to pets...yet! our days are numbered!You do it first and let me know how it goes w/ 4!!!